Friday, April 2, 2010

Dealing with difficult people

Ok so I have to deal with difficult people all the time....we all do!!!! There is very few people that are difficult that I have to deal with but there are two people I just don't know how to deal with their actions and words toward and to me. So what do I do? I go to the Bible to find out how in the world Im supposed to handle the difficult situation. I have one person who constantly makes up crap that I am doing or have done when none of it is true and then the other is just plain ole mean and difficult to deal with and I have no choice but to deal with this person. They both have great qualities as people like we all do but their efforts of bashing me have become a priority in their life. I have let lots of things go and stay very quite but you know when you are about full to the rim of it?? well that is where I am today and am praying that my mouth stays closed. I seem to always end up on the better side if I do. I found this bible lesson and thought I would share it on my blog:


What Does the Bible Say About Dealing With Difficult People?


You may know someone else who has had to deal with difficult people, or you may have experienced dealing with them yourself. As you study the Bible, you find that God lets other people and experiences build character in us. Often, we just want the difficult person to go away and bother someone else. But what if that someone else is you?



God wants us to strive for peace. So let's look at some relevant scriptures that show how to deal with difficult people.



What should our motive be when dealing with anyone?



Hebrews 12:14

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord...



Romans 12:18

If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.



Regardless of how others treat us, we are to try to have peaceful relationships with them. In the beatitudes, Jesus Christ—the Prince of Peace—said that those who are peacemakers will be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9).



What important character trait is needed to deal with difficult people?



Philippians 2:3

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.



James 3:17-18

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.



The opposite of conceit and selfishness is humility. Humility is necessary to properly deal with difficult people. We want others to be patient with our shortcomings, and we should be patient with theirs. When we strive to make peace, we are exercising humility.


What is the key to living in peace with difficult people?




Psalm 119:165

Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.



Proverbs 16:7

When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.



Following God's law is the key to peace. When we live by God's ways, we learn the way to peace. Living God's ways doesn't mean all people will like who we are, but they will like what we are—peacemakers!





Now the challenge is for me to follow these guidelines and pray that one day there will be peace!
Happy Easter!!
Nina

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nina! Just found you. Looking forward to keeping up.
    Tashia Wale Lovell

    ReplyDelete